Thread: New here :)
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Christen10
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskayorkie View Post
Welcome, Naomi. First of all, those are all EXCELLENT questions to be asking before getting a Yorkie. You should get lots of good advice. The 'teacup' question is one that always sparks debate. You will learn that there's no such thing as a 'teacup' Yorkie in the eyes of the American Kennel Club that registers them. A Yorkie is a Yorkie, and the 'standard' is 7 pounds and under. Many breeders today have taken to calling tiny ones 'teacups' because the Paris Hilton crowd thinks the tinier the better. Many -- and I won't say all -- YorkieTalkers think tiny is not better. They are prone to more illnesses, including liver shunt. There's another problem that I can't remember the name, but the skull does not fully develop and they can have a dangerous soft spot. I would advise that you look for a Yorkie whose breeder thinks she will grow to the 4 to 7 pound range. In my opinion, the bigger, the more durable they are. Mine are 9 pounds and 4 pounds, and I worry far less about the 9 pounder's safety.

I would encourage you not to buy from a Pet Store. They don't have good reputations for caring for their pups.

I'll let others tell you how to find a good breeder.

Again, welcome. Your college sounds like it rocks by allowing little dogs.

I think the word you are looking for is Font Nail. I think that is how its spelled. lol I had a very small Yorkie female with a font nail and the vet said there was nothing wrong with it. That like a baby it would grow together. You just have to be very careful with them like a baby until its fully developed. She was the best Yorkie I had ever had but that was also the Yorkie my dad sold behind my back. She was a sweet tiny baby. I miss Bridgette!
Christen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!