View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 05:54 AM   #1
kemfy
Yorkie Talker

Default Sad Update on GA Mommy

I want to thank everyone that has responded to help me with my "delivery" ordeal and I wanted to give you an update.

I had taken my little baby to the vet and they said she was three weeks out and had 2 pups. Well, I was not happy with that vet, so I went back to my old vet who is really great, but is farther away. He spent lots of time talking to me and explaining things and we scheduled a c-section because he said her pelvis was too small for these pups.

The c-Section was scheduled for Wed. June 15 and I got there bright and early. Abbey was doing fine, although you could tell she was really uncomfortable for a few days. I could feel the pups moving around and Wednesday did not come a moment too soon!! So, I gave her a kiss and said we would be coming home with her babies in a few hours.

Well, the vet calls me around 11am to say that he had bad news for me....her uterus had ruptured - recently, maybe sometime that night or the morning - and one of the pups had slipped partly into her abdomen. That pup was dead (but still soft, so it had JUST happened) and then the other pup was born, but was not formed properly and also died shorlty after that.
The worst part was that Abbey was not awake and the vet was not sure how she would come out of all this because she had been through so much.

I have no idea how this happened...I was watching her VERY closely and she showed NO SIGNS of pain or labor or anything...no nesting, no pacing, no licking, no pushing, no temperature drop....how did I miss that? Or maybe it happened on the way to the vet. Anyway, I spent the whole day Wednesday in tears. The vet said she would have to stay overnight at his office, but I said NO- Not unless YOU will be staying WITH her - she WILL NOT be left alone tonight. He finally agreed and let me bring her home. She slept the whole night and when I did let her get up and stand up, she was so wobbly and weak...made me cry again.

But she is doing better and better....she just has big milk bags now and I am putting cold gel paks on her and she likes that a lot. She is on an antibiotic and a pain killer, but she is eating good and her poopy is normal (that's important). The vet takes my calls (about her temp, diet and medicine) ANY time I call, and I am so glad Iwent back to him. I try not to call much, but they are all so sweet (the mean lady that ran me off has since left).

I have no puppies now, and she still thinks she has them - she licks my hand and arm for HOURS and she insists on being under the covers and is very protective when her brothers come around, so I think she has a false mommy-hood for now. But that is ok - we can deal with that better than losing her!!!

But thanks again for all of your kind words and help through all of this!
When things get back to normal, I will try to put some photos on and get back in touch with everyone, but until then...

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
kemfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!