View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 04:21 AM   #9
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie3 View Post
Mardelin, I have always respected your advice so much. I don't want this to come off the wrong way...cause I need the advice too.

During our last pregnancy and this one, my Vet said to give the Calcium supplement. The tablets are huge, but he has me give a 1/4 tablet every day through pregnancy and weaning. I had told him about all the advice against it that I've read here on YT. His advice was that the little puppies need the calcium to help develop strong bones. Emilee has not developed Eclampsia in either pregnancy, was I just lucky? I've searched the Internet for this topic to find out reasons other than what you have just mentioned, but really haven't found what I'm looking for, do you have any sites that might help or are you advising from experience?

Thank you so much, I just need more info than to tell my Vet that some valuable YT members advise against it.
I can only pass on to you the numerous years of experience that has been passed on to me by more experienced breeders than I. One such person, Terri Shumsky in her book she speaks to the premature administering of calcium supplements "How To Buy and Raise A Good & Healthy Dog..... Other information on this subject I've gained from very reputable, highly successful Yorkshire Terrier Exhibitor/Breeders.

Remember most Vet's are not knowledgable in nutrition and/or breeding, whelping of dogs. I know that mine who I trust implicitly, will bow to my mentor/breeder's 35+ years of experience 9 times out of 10 when it comes to nutrition of a matron during gestation. We've discussed this subject on several occassions. His advice has been to me that when fed proper diets at an increased level dams are obtaining what is needed.

What I do know is my dams do get calcium through adding cottage cheese to their meals and being an RN in my past life and in OBGYN....folic acid is of prime importance to the skeletal structure of puppies. To insure puppies are getting this, during the last trimester I add Solid Gold Concept A Bitch and continue until the puppies are 6 weeks of age.

My fear of eclampsia comes in when puppies are gaining by leaps and bounds and taking to much from their dam.....and/or with a litter of more than 3 or 4.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!