View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 04:00 AM   #5
Yorkie3
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
No, emphatically no. If you give calcium supplement during gestation the body says "hey, why should I release any calcium into the bood-stream as I'm getting it from an outside source. I think I'll just shut down and not do any work. "Then the puppies are born, more calcium is needed for milk. The body says "OK, I"ll do the best I can, but you've got to realize, I have been shut down for several weeks. It will take me a few days to catch up." All of a sudden Eclampsia results. Increase food during the last trimester....and give her all the food she wants after the puppies are born.

Mardelin, I have always respected your advice so much. I don't want this to come off the wrong way...cause I need the advice too.

During our last pregnancy and this one, my Vet said to give the Calcium supplement. The tablets are huge, but he has me give a 1/4 tablet every day through pregnancy and weaning. I had told him about all the advice against it that I've read here on YT. His advice was that the little puppies need the calcium to help develop strong bones. Emilee has not developed Eclampsia in either pregnancy, was I just lucky? I've searched the Internet for this topic to find out reasons other than what you have just mentioned, but really haven't found what I'm looking for, do you have any sites that might help or are you advising from experience?

Thank you so much, I just need more info than to tell my Vet that some valuable YT members advise against it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!