View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
fasteddie
YT 6000 Club Member

Good article, here's the full one:
---
(New York -WABC, June 15, 2005) — Starting today commercial airlines are required to report the number of pets injured, lost or killed in their care.

The law is meant to help consumers compare airline safety records. This comes as animal experts estimate that thousands of pets die traveling a year.

Anthony Johnson has the story.

According to the ASPCA, over 2 million animals are lost, injured or die on airplanes every year. In most cases the airlines have reported animal mishaps as lost luggage, but now any animal incident in the cargo hold has to be reported to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Lisa Weisberg, Senior VP, ASPCA: "What it also hopefully will do is make airlines a little bit more responsible and accountable for the animals that are in their care."

Some furry fliers can be placed underneath the seat in front of you, which is a relief to some pet-owning passengers.

Pet Owner: "I'd never allow her in cargo - she's not cargo, she's my baby."

Starting next month the government will have an incident report, which will be made public. But if you're really concerned about your pet's safety in the air, you can do one thing.

Pet Owner: "I would buy them a ticket if necessary, to have them in the cabin with me."

One airline doesn't allow pets on its planes. Others allow pets but there's no guarantee the animal will be fed or given water. But still, it's not unusual to see a beloved animal taking a vacation with the family.

Pet Owner: "I do not want to be the one standing there with the empty leash."

The ASPCA says the new laws that have been enacted really don't go far enough because they would like to see better temperature control and more ventilation in the cargo hold.

Tips for safe travel with pets, from the ASPCA:

Make sure your pet is wearing a collar and an identification tag. Breakaway collars are best for cats. The collar should also include destination information in case your pet escapes.

Book a direct flight whenever possible. This will decrease the likelihood of your pet being left on the tarmac during extreme weather conditions or mishandling by baggage personnel.

Purchase a USDA-approved shipping crate that is large enough for your pet to stand, sit and change position in comfortably. Shipping crates can be purchased from many pet supply stores and airlines.

Write the words "Live Animal" in letters at least one inch tall on the top of the crate and on at least one side. Use arrows to prominently show the upright position of the crate.

On the top of the crate, write the name, address and telephone number of your pet's destination point, whether you are traveling with them or someone else is picking up the animal.

For more on how to keep your pets safe while flying, visit the ASPCA online at www.aspca.org
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!