View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #25
fufufashions
LEADER OF MyPACK
Donating Member

Love thank you Sweetums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetums View Post
Prayers for your little one. I know how hard it is. We just had our Pookie who is 4.5 lbs spayed on Monday, and she was miserable when we picked her up. Be prepared for that. It's not easy to see your baby in pain. Imagine yourself having a hysterectomy and four teeth (they had long roots too!) pulled all on the same day. You'd pretty much feel like a Mac truck hit you and that's what our Pookie looked like. She didn't even lift her head in greeting when we picked her up to take her to the ER vet afterward for her overnight.

We took her to the ER vet to stay overnight since our vet doesn't have anyone there to watch them overnight, and they told us we wouldn't get any sleep at all the first night with her. So when we picked her up in the morning, she immediately curled up in my arms and layed her head on my chest and whimpered all the way home. It was heart rending really. I don't say this to scare you, but just to prepare you for what she may look like when she first comes home.

Pookie whimpered for the first two days afterward, poor baby, despite the pain meds. And btw, make sure they give you a large supply. Our vet gave us only four (she was afraid that after the aenesthetic, the pain meds might be overdosing her) and we used them all within the first 36 hours, so we had to go get more which they said we should have called in sooner (what? how were we supposed to know?). They said one every 8 hours, but the truth is that it's obvious the pain medication wears off before the 8 hours is up. She starts looking aggitated, starts pacing and is really really anxious. The look in her eyes says "Help me!" and she shivers all over. The doctor said that the shivering is a sign of pain. So we tough it out until it's time for the next pill. Hard to do. Using Rescue Remedy has helped some tho, to calm her down at least.

Btw, we tried putting a soft collar on her, and she figured out how to bend it under so she could get at the stitches. So last night I had to run out and get some "Onesies" for her to wear, newborn size. They actually work great. They're not too tight, and she can't get under her little "suit" to chew anything. For a tiny one like yours, you might try to find the Preemie size if you can.

Well, we are with you in our thoughts, believe me. If you need to message me about any concerns, you can reach me at laughingredhead@hotmail.com.
Wow, you went through this Monday. Bless you and your little girl! I am glad to know that she is ok now. I will definitely get some pain meds for her when i pick her up. My vet will allow her to come home this afternoon and i'll just keep her quiet and zipped up in a little travel sherpa so she doesn't get roudy plus it will keep Kissy and Angel from messing with her while she recooperates. I did this with my other 2 girls so i know how pitiful they look the first day. It is a heart breaker but we have to do what we have to do...TG it is a one time thing! Princess will have ALL of her baby teeth pulled since she hasn't lost any of them. She has a mouth full with both sets of teeth. Angel had that done at the same time too and it is a tough recovery but better in the long run to get as much done while they are out since the anesthetic is the risky part. I am also having her microchipped too. I can't wait to get that call from the vet that she is doing ok.
I am sure i'll be up all night with my hand inside the crate making sure she is still breathing.
Thanks to all of you sweet YT'ers! This has really helped me to have someone to talk to about all of this and to feel the love coming through the computer from all of you! BLESS YOU!!
xoxoxo
.....Linda
fufufashions is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!