View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 05:15 AM   #1
Meggie
YT 500 Club Member

Default Could I ask your advice please?

After a year of soul searching, I've decided to get another puppy.
My Tansy is twelve now. Two years ago she was diagnosed with heart failure & the vet warned me to think of my time left with her in terms of weeks rather than months. He started her on Vetmedin & diuretics & amazingly her quality of life improved cosiderably. So much that I still have her with me, for which I am so grateful. But I can't really take her out much, was warned to walk her for no more than 5 minutes at a time. She still loves to ride in the car, but mostly sleeps a lot & just potters round our very big garden.
I'm home all day to look after her.

My husband has been urging me to get a puppy as he knows how much I used to love being able to take her everywhere with me & even gave me an IOU for a puppy for my birthday, but I didn't want to upset my poor old girl. She is used to other dogs. when she came as a puppy, I had four other dogs in the house, who have since all got old & died. She also gets on really well with my father's Border terrier & my son's two dogs (one a Yorkie) when they visit.

I would love a puppy.
We've now heard of a litter of Yorkies, born this week, to a lady who shows & my husband wants us to go & look. So we're hoping to go when the puppies are old enough to receive visitors.

There is just a question I would like some help with please.
When I bought Tansy, we went to a breeder/exhibitor. I used to breed & show a terrier breed so always think it's best to breed as near as you can to the breed standard. I saw both parents, right size, sire was shown, & fell in love with the puppies. They all looked small, Tansy wasn't bigger.
I couldn't love Tansy more, but she just grew & grew! Till she was 12 pounds! Other than that she's perfect & a wonderful companion, my best friend & baby

But this time, I would really, really like to have one within the size standard. Is there any way I can tell? Was I just unlucky(with the size). Does it happen often that right size parents produce a whopper?
Is there any guidance you could give me please, if I'm lucky enough to go & see the puppies
Meggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!