View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 03:09 AM   #117
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteddybear View Post
I am really trying to get things together to start cooking for my two. Teddy and my Golden.

I made them a pot of food tonight and it was a great success in that they just loved it. My biggest concern is that they get everthing they need while eating my home cooking. I don't want to miss some important ingredient.

I started with 5 chicken thighs boiled and then removed from the bone. (They did have the skin but I removed it after boiling and skimmed the fat from the top of the pot.) Then I added brown rice, green beans, shredded carrot and rolled oats. let it simmer until it was thick almost like a canned food consistancy. Put some in thier bowls, let cool and added missing link.

The kids were haaaapy and gobbled it all up.

So, any of you who know what your doing in the cooking for your babies tell me what you think of my mixture and if I sholuld have done something differently or added something they need that I left out.

I really hope I can figure out how to cook for them economically and get rid of the bagged stuff all together.

Kim
all i can tell you is that it's good you put the missing link in there. Its hard when home cooking to know exactly what percentage of what vitamin and mineral your pups are getting. that's why i don't do it. i feed canidae or other super premium foods where they've already figured that stuff out. i know its scary right now to feed any type of dog food, but i look this recall on dog food as the same thing as the recall on some people foods. we've done nothing wrong and yes it is scary to know that we might have been feeding something that wasn't good but these dog food companies have perfected their food so that our babies are getting all the nutrition they need in certain kibbles (i am in no way saying that the foods that were recalled were good foods to begin with. those types of foods i would never feed my dog because its garbage. i'm talking about canidae, wellness, innova, fromms, etc)

perhaps call for a consult with a doggie nutrionalist or ask your regular vet if they can find out for you. they would know best what ingredients your pet needs. i'm not sure how it is with dogs but i know that some people who cook for their cats really end up making a mess of things because they didn't know that cats absolutely need taurine in their diets, among other things, and their cooking did more bad then good.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!