Thread: Help!
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
Sweetums
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Your baby sounds adorable and I'm sure you'll be a good mommy. Here is a nice website by a breeder that will give you lots of new puppy info:

http://yorkiecare.homestead.com/rules.html

We have a picky eater too and when she was real little (she's now 6 mos.) she was just awful. For weeks at a time when she was teething, she would eat one food one day, then turn up her nose the next. We had more opened packages and cans than we could fit in our kitchen. We finally found that she liked Cesars with the orange top (can't remember the flavor). Now, I know Cesars isn't considered high quality, but frankly, we just needed her to eat, no matter what.

We also found a recipe on this forum to feed them with a syringe, if they won't eat on their own. I was afraid if we didn't feed her every 4 hrs. that she might go into a hypoglycemic attack. So this recipe has been a sanity saver, because we always have the emergency back-up feeding method when all else fails. We use a plastic (so she can't hurt herself if she bites it)baby medicine syringe that you can get at the drug store to give babies their medication. At first we had to put the syringe in the corner of her mouth and gently squeeze the mush in that way, but now she licks it voluntarily. Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup half-and-half (or goat's milk for more digestability)
1/2 cup instant baby cereal (we use mostly rice and occasionally oatmeal if she's constipated)
1 entire jar of Gerber's strained baby meat (anything but turkey)
1 tsp. Karo syrup (or maple syrup if no Karo is available)

Just warm up the half-and-half, stir in the instant cereal and the jar of meat and the karo syrup. You can add water if it's too thick. We refrigerate this in a bowl and just take out a few spoonfuls at a time to warm up in the microwave and feed her. Remember to test the temp. before filling your syringe and feeding it to your pup.

I'm sure she'll get less fussy over time. Just be patient. I know how it is.

Oh, and you can try giving your pup some very small chunks of fruit such as apple or banana. Also they seem to like little pieces of baby carrots, raw, and raw snap beans. This is just to give the puppy more nutrition. Just be careful of too much of the beans as it seems to make loose stools.

Last edited by Sweetums; 03-28-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Sweetums is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!