Thread: Pixie's Surgery
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
Lopsi
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Pixie's Surgery

I don't really know where this thread goes as she's not sick, it's not an emergency, and she's not "hurt" per se, but...

Some History:
Our vet diagnossed Pixie with luxating platellas in her 2 back legs and suggested that we discuss surgery soon.
I got Pixie at Petland (before I knew better), and she came with a 1 year warranty for genetic defects. So I called Petland and inquired about the warranty. They basically said that this particular condition isn't possible in their dogs because they screen them but if I wanted to push the issue, I could take her to their vet for an opinion and if he agreed to the need for surgery, then Petland will pay for it.

So I made an appointment with their vet. I saw one of their Drs last week, and she felt and said "Oh, this dog needs surgery immediately!" Well, then Petland threw a fit and said that she had to be "graded" before they would consider paying for it.

Essentially:
Grade 1 - they don't care.
Grade 2 - they may care in the future.
Grade 3 - Ok, we'll pay for surgery.

Today:
SOoooo I had to take her BACK to their vet again today to be "graded"... he felt of her and I asked about the grade to know what Petland was going to say. He informed me that she's a Grade 4 and asked how she gets around. The vet is shocked that she's capable of walking at all...

Now, Petland's vet has over approved the Grade 3 necessity for surgery, but he had to call Petland and I guess convince them what he found.
He said he will be calling me back later today or tomorrow to get her set up for surgery as soon as possible.

On the up side, their vet is on our side. If all goes well, Pixie gets her surgery, and Petland pays.

I'll keep ya'll updated - please keep my Pixie in your prayers.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!