View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
Sweetums
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Aren't they the funny little things! Pookie would not lay down to save her life when we tried training her (also with the Petsmart class). All the other dogs were doing it in class, and we tried everything the trainer said, and still she did not get it.

Then after trying and trying at home, I decided to just show her what aI wanted. So I had her sit, which she did just fine, and then put the treat out in front of her as per the trainer's instructions, pulling it further and further away, close to the ground, and then I leaned over her and basically used my body gently bending more and more to the ground with her under me, repeating "down, down, down" until she couldn't avoid flattening herself out on the floor. Mind you I didn't put my weight on her at any time.

Anyway, the moment she flattened herself out and was "down" I practically threw a party for her complete with confetti. I praised her over and over and gave her treats. Then we did it again, and then again and it finally "clicked" in her little head. After that, the moment I'd say "sit" and then even start to say "down", she'd flop herself down faster than I could say the word. And of course, she got a treat every time and still does.

So I suggest you try showing her how to sit, and even though she doesn't actually do it herself, do the happy dance for her, give her treats and repeat until the lightbulb goes off in her head, i.e. "Oooooh, sit = treats!! Ooooooh, now I get it!"

As Karen Pryor says in her book, "Don't Shoot The Dog", even when they come close to performing, give them positive reinforcement, and eventually, they will work their way into doing the actual command.

So maybe use your hand to guide her to sit while you hold the treat over her head? Or have someone else guide her behind to the ground, but then give her major praise and a treat, like she's the smartest doggie in the world.

Last edited by Sweetums; 03-27-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Sweetums is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!