View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
debbiect
Senior Yorkie Talker

Confused When to go to one meal a day

Everyone here knows I and many others on this forum have little "brats," that go through stages of refusing anything and everything we give them. It's like a "fast" or something. Well Sparky has done this off and on since I got him in December. He is 19 weeks old, almost 5 months (the 12th of April). He weighed 7 lbs 10 ounces at the vet's last week, so he's not a "toy," by any means, and I realize he weighs more than AKC recognizes (so I'm told). But he's my lil bugger. He's not quite 10 inches tall at his shoulders. Now that you know his size, my question. When can I switch him to eating once a day? I keep Merrick's kibbles down all day, and twice a day he gets 1/4 cup of Merricks dry and I grate up a little bit of New Balance rolls on top of that. Plus I add a few pieces of chopped up chicken or beef, and maybe a grated baby carrot. I have to really baby him to get him to eat (hand feed him). I don't want to go through changing foods everytime he gets picky. Sometimes I'll give him a teaspoon of non-fat plain yogurt or a teaspoon of non-fat cottage cheese (usually between 11 - 2). He eats breakfast about 9 am and dinner about 5 - 6 pm. But he picks at his two meals, and doesn't really act interested. I even cut back on his quantity of breakfast, but still he never eats ALL of his food. (except yogurt, cottage cheese). He doesn't get alot of treats during the day, only a cheerio when he goes potty. I really need help as I am at my wits end. Also, I feed him seperate from my other dog (she's about 6-8 years old, coon hound and has eaten Purina Kibbles all her life), and he acts like he's starving if he can get to her bowl before I pick it up. He will gobble it. I got some samples several months ago and he gobbled Candidae. I started to change, but the tech at my vet's told me it wasn;t a good idea to change, it teaches them to be finicky.(She has several Yorkies)He gobbled Merrick's when I changed him over from Science Diet. Is this something I have to look forward to? HELLLLLPPPPPPP!@!@!!!!!!!@!!@@!
debbiect is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!