View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #11
Jenn218
Mojo, LilyGrace & Me
Donating Member

PET POISON ALERT: NATIONWIDE PET FOOD RECALLS
In response to calls and emails from concerned pet parents all across the country, the ASPCA is advising owners to discontinue use of certain products from over 40 brands of pet food manufactured by Menu Foods, Inc. and distributed in the U. S. and Canada. Late last week, the products were recalled due to reports of adverse effects on kidney function associated with the consumption of these products.

The brands affected include Iams, Eukanuba, Purina and Science Diet, as well as store brands, such as Ol’Roy and Special Kitty. They are distributed by major retailers, including Wal-Mart, Kroger and Safeway. For a complete list of affected brands, please visit http://www.menufoods.com/recall.

The ASPCA continues to monitor the situation, via sick animals being admitted to our Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital in New York City, as well as through cases reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC). At this point, we do not have any overall statistics on the number of cases reported to the APCC that can specifically be connected to the ingestion of the contaminated foods. As the APCC continues to analyze data, however, we will release any pertinent information immediately. In addition, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is conducting its own investigation into this crisis.

The ASPCA recommends that pet parents discontinue the use of all affected products until further information has been received. If your pet shows any signs of illness, including loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, changes in water consumption and changes in urination, please consult with a veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately. In order to help with your pet’s diagnosis, you are advised to:

- retain food samples for analysis
- save all packaging and receipts, and document the product name, type of product, date codes and/or production lot numbers
- document the dates that the product was fed to your pet, how much was eaten, and the time when you first noticed symptoms

For more information, please visit ASPCA.org. Helpful tips for veterinarians and pet parents may also be found at the American Veterinary Medical Association online

Recall Information
1-866-895-2708

Press Release
Enhanced Website and Call Center
March 19, 2007
Menu Foods Recall
March 16, 2007
Product Information
Recalled Cat Product Information
March 16, 2007
Recalled Dog Product Information
March 16, 2007

Some of the links may not work (the ones in blue), but I got all this information off the ASPCA.org site
Jenn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!