View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
LaviniaHyacynth
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Update from LaviniaHyacnth

Hey Everyone, I have been away from the site for awhile and wanted to send my friends here an update on Vivi. Last June during a routine exam and testing pryor to spaying, it was discovered that my beloved Yorkie,Vivi, has a congenital liver shunt.She ahd managed to stay symptom free so I had never suspected that she was sick. Her only symptom was not liking dog food so I continued to feed her human baby food and carrots(her favorite) After much research...thank you yt for your resources...an ultrasound reviewed by Dr. TObias in Tennessee and the care of my wonderful vet, it was decided that her situation was inoperable and would eventually prove fatal. However, I didn't tell Vivi that news....she has continued to be her sweet and loving self no matter how awful she feels. Currently, she is taking Lactulose 3 times a day and flagyl...as well as liver boosting homeopathic and herbal supplements...I have been monitoring her diet with much care. Sadly, on Tuesday, Vivi was in much pain and I rushed her to the vet....the night before she was fine and playful...so I was shocked at the sudden onset of these symptoms...it was then discovered that she has developed large stones in both kidneys and a urinary tract infection...all directly related to the liver shunt and her liver's inability to flush toxins.This was inevitable as her disease progresses ...I had just hoped it wouldn't happen until much later. She is on pain meds and antibiotics on top of her other medications and I am feeding her with a syringe. Today she drank water on her own and she is no longer upset to her stomach. She is starting to show some interest in food. I know that the time will come when I will have to say goodbye...I also know she will let me know when she has had enough. At the moment she is still trying so hard and continues to kiss and comfort me. This dog is an angel on earth...she has outlived all the expectations...the vet calls her the Miracle Dog...I will keep you updated on her progress. She continues to sleep peacefully in a patch of sun in my studio...I am trying to keep working but it is hard to focus on the paintings....all I want to do is hold her next to me.

Bear healed my broken heart!
LaviniaHyacynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!