Thread: Dewclaws
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #15
HisNameIsHarley
YT 1000 Club Member

Not every dewclaw must come out. If the dewclaw is loose or free hanging it's is at risk for being caught on something and ripped out. The dewclaw is attached to a long tendon and if pulled will cause extreme pain and bleeding. When I had my brothers dog neutered we only removed his two front dewclaws because they were 'unattached' but we left he rear dewclaws because they were still intact. It's really just a matter of choice. The majority of my dogs still have some of their dewclaws because we only removed the ones that were necessary when they were spayed or neutered. All four of Harleys are out because the breeder had them removed at the same time his tail was docked. (sometimes I wish Harley still had a tail.. *sigh*)

I personally don't mind them with or without their dewclaws. And since mine were removed while they are under anesthesia they don't feel the pain when they were removed. Just a few stiches when they wake up.

I think it's a little strange though for a breeder not to remove all the dewclaws. Maybe they only felt they should remove the ones that were unattached.

Also, I have heard from a coulpe different vets about weird occurances where dewclaws have actually grown back. Very uncommon but apparently it's possible.

Last edited by HisNameIsHarley; 03-22-2007 at 05:18 AM.
HisNameIsHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!