View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
MsCheryle478
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Kennel cough vs. collapsed trachea

To make a long story as short as possible as I am just needing opinions.

Got my baby from a puppymill in December. She had a cough and came with antibiotics from the breeder. After that antibiotic was done she was no better. Took her back to the vet and got a different antibiotic and also had her wormed again (thanks puppymiller). Finished that antibiotic and no better. Took her back to the vet where they did x-rays. The vet noticed a very slight collapsed trachea. But he said it was so slight that it wasn't a thing to make him go "AH HA, this is the cause of that dry cough". Same with her lungs. Possible fluid, but if so, very little and again not an "AH HA, this is the culprit behind that coughing". So he put her on Tetracylcine, which they don't like to do as it is a real strong antibiotic and can possibly cause the teeth to yellow. We went that route and I did notice a HUGE improvement. Finished that antibiotic and within a few days noticed the cough picking back up. Called the vet and they called in another weeks worth of the antibiotic but said the first dose should have done the trick. I didn't see my regular vet as she wasn't in on the day of the x-rays. My regular vet then tells me "well, it could be the collapsed trachea and there is nothing you can do about that". I informed her (my regular vet) that the other vet in her office had told me that it was so mild that it couldn't be the problem.
I know that everyone's opinion will be.....take her to another vet. Is that my only choices? Keep vet shopping? She mainly coughs at night or when she is really playing hard. I would think had it been an infection of some sort that all the different antibiotics would have cleared it up. Any other opinions on this?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!