View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #12
blondflava
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safire View Post
I watched an episode of 'Good Dog' with Stanley Coren this morning and he had some great advice on establishing pack leadership. You've probably heard these before, but it's good as a reminder:

1. Pack Leader Eats First
Before you put your pup's meal down, grab a carrot stick or other small snack for yourself and munch that down before you put his bowl down.

2. Pack Leader Goes Through Doors First
Never let your dog lead you out the door. Make him sit and stay while you go through, then call him to follow.

3. Pack Leader Has Choice Spots
Never step around your lounging pooch if he's blocking your way. Make him move out of your way. Same goes for sleeping. Don't let them crowd you out of your bed. Move them! As leader you get first dibs.

I know this all sounds obvious, but that's why it makes so much sense. Dogs are so much happier when the reigns of pack leadership are not theirs to bear. It goes to show why so many dogs have separation anxiety too...they feel that as pack leader they are responsible for the well being of their family, and when you're not around for him to see, he feels anxious and responsible. If you establish yourself as leader, the dog can relax...in other words "not my problem anymore!"
Oh boy, seems we have a few things to work on...Here's what it looks like in our house (but I'll work on changing it!!)
1. Before I put Pepper's meal down, I grab a mini carrot for me to munch...and one for Pepper...lol

2. I go through the door first only if I carry a garbage bag outside and can block Pepper... lol

3. What was it about stepping around the pooch again?

LOL
But seriously, I'm trying to work on those it's just so hard with those cutie faces he makes
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!