View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandYorkies View Post
DON'T BE PUT OFF BY THIS ARROGANT WOMAN....as you can see from a few other posts she is only too ready to condemn ANYONE who is not a show breeder, and is only interested in pups who conform to the exact breed standard, and also protect show people's income.
She is right that you should wait until your female is mature - 18 months to two years is best.
As for getting a wee boyfriend for your dog - if you can keep him away from her during seasons - unless he is neutered - until she is older, then as long as you buy the male dog/puppy carefully, and talk to it's breeder about it's anscesters/parents and health, and read up on the subject(there are many good books), and are at home - not working, and have a good vet and vet care, and can be bothered about puppies making a mess, and are determined to check that all the people homing your pups are suitable, and are sure you can home them - then breed if you really want to.
If your dog is small, then you'd be best to buy a smaller dog,(2-3lbs) to hopefully help her to be able to have small enough pups to get out without needing a caesarian.....otherwise it could be a risk to your dog.
And most of all, by being a pet breeder, think about not charging the ridiculously high prices that KC breeders usually want, and give the chance of owning a nice wee dog to all the lonely retirees who cannot afford such huge prices. (pensioners)
I am sure you already know that you should only breed from her once a year - to rest her, and ensure her and the pups best health, and never above the age of 5 years or any more than 5 litters. If you were considering on doing it more than once, I would personally look into having more than one female and only do two litters each in their lifetime, for the sake of each dog....but that is just what I would do.
Always remember it could be a risk to your wee female - you should be fine with good vet-care......and if you decide that you'd rather not breed on thinking about it, then get the female neutered, and they will both just love each other's company ! I did that, and they loved having another small dog about after thinking that it was only they who were that small ! I have now added another female....though would never add another enire male as they would fight. The playing between the three of them is hillarious !
Good luck whatever your decision !
There should be people better qualified than me to give you good advice about breeding your female, and those who really care about Yorkies will only be too happy to give it, and not keep all the joy to themselves as if it's only they who should be allowed ! Some breeders are very good, and perhaps if you decide to go for a male puppy - when you phone around you could go for the pup that the caring type of breeder is most willing to pass on her knowledge, and tell you all you would need to know - and be willing to be on the other end of the phone for advice whenever.
You could also consider rehoming a poor wee soul who needs a good home - ask you area "Yorkie Rescue" if they have any dogs from sad circumstances needing a loving and amazing home with you. You will feel so good about this if you do it, that you maybe wouldn't be bothered about having any puppies, but want to do it again and again.
I have done this twice now after buying my first wee female as a puppy. I paid money, though you don't always have to if from a shelter, to people who had to give up their dogs....I had my own female, then bought a male at 19 months, and now another female age 3 years. I nursed them back to full health and they are just so greatful to have such a pampered and loving home and return so much love you would not believe.
It's worth thinking about.

Puppy farmers (not good and caring pet breeders) are the only people who should be condemned out of hand !

Read those books first......and then think about it.
I wish you the very best......DEBRA

Pic of the wee male I got for my neutered female after three years on her own, (before my new wee female came)
.....the first is the male, and the one next to him is his "girlfriend" !!!
There is no show breeders 'protecting their income' as we don't make an income off the backs of our dogs. We have jobs, our spouses have jobs that brings in the income to support our dogs and our hobby of showing our dogs.
We often have the types of jobs that usually someone is home, homebased businesses, own businesses, each working different shifts.
I don't expect my dogs to even support themselves with the odd bit of money I get for the occasional pup I have for sale. I pay their Vet bills, toys, new beds, food, treats etc from my income.
As a show breeder we are just wanting to protect our breed so there are not the poor quality representatives of our breed out there, that they don't end up in rescues and shelters because a breeder won't take a dog or puppy back that they sold when the owner doens't want it anymore.
We also try very hard to be sure our puppies will not be carrying genetic problems. Many breeders who just breed to sell puppies don't have a clue what genetic problems there are in our breed and certainly do not have any idea if they are producing a problem.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!