View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Percys_mamma
Donating YT Addict

Question What to do about a "backyard" breeder?

Maybe I can get some advice on this here. When I was looking for a yorkie, one of the breeders I visted was horrible (just posted about it an another thread, but will re-cap here)

She was a total backyard breeder. Had about 50 puppies on hand, all in good shape. But I asked to see the parents. She stated they were in the kennels out back and she wasn't able to bring them out. I asked to see the kennels and she stated no, and asked why. I said that even though the puppies were in good shape, I wanted to see the parents and how they were kept. She got all defensive about it. I asked why she had 50 puppies and why so many. She told me she breed the bitches back to back so she could get the most amount of puppies out of them. She didn't want to lose a litter before they had to retire. My husband and I were horrified and left. As we were leaving, my husband snuck around back and looked at the kennels. Days worth of poop were in the runs, and the smell was BAD! The door was locked, but when he peeked in he said there were dogs in all the runs, several to a run in some places.

When we got home, I tried to make a few calls. The local Animal Control stated they "don't travel out that far, as they are understaffed, unless it is extreme neglect/abuse." The local humane society was not must more help.

Is there anything I can do? Or am I overreacting. Something about the whole place just felt wrong. I also checked on the AKC site about her, and she has been banned for 10years for refusing to hand over records. She isn't USDA, and I would think that with that many puppies she would have to be. Any advice would be wonderful.
Percys_mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!