View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
Dan & Corinne
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystenah View Post
Chloe has the worse skin problems. She is ALWAYS itching. She had a staph infection a few months ago from scratching sores on herself. She has bald spots, and her skin is all red. We have tried almost everything. Benadryl twice a day, baths in shampoo thats suppose to reduce itching (the vet sold us), getting her long pretty hair chopped off so that she wont be so hot, allergy shots (but Im afraid this will cause long term liver damage, so I try not to do it much), and we just switched her food this week to duck and potato for allergies. Nothing seems to help. The only thing we really haven't tried is getting her tested for allergies. And we can't afford that because the vet said it would be $150.00 for the tests, then $300.00 the first month for the medicine and about $150.00 each month after that. And we just can't afford it. We have 4 animals. We have over $1,000.00 on our carecredit card to pay off that we used on them, a baby on the way, and in the process of moving. So, if anyone else had any suggestions of things that we can do.. then please let me know. I hate that she has to be so miserable all of the time.
First of all I'm so sorry! I've been through the same thing and I know it's so hard to see your baby itching so much...

Good move on changing the food to Natural Balance Duck & Potato! Give it time to work. It took about a month for the change of food started to make a difference.

Jazzie's doctor wanted us to start on allergy shots but we wanted to try a natural approach before we had to. We gave it 2 months and are so happy to say, we now just give her antihesthemine on occasion when the pollens are high. We did have her tested for allergies and found out she's allergic to Cats, dust mites and seasonal pollens so we knew how to help her. Ripped out the carpet, got hypo-allergenic bedding and switched her diet.

To help ease the itching during the transition, I gave Jazzie a bath twice a week just until her skin mostly cleared up. Use the coolest water temp as you can without making her uncomfortable. I used the medicated shampoo from the vet ONLY on the areas where she had skin problems (mostly tummy, arm pits, and private parts) and used Oatmeal shampoo elsewhere. Finished with just a bit of conditioner. It takes longer but blow dry at the warm & cool setting - don't use high.

Make sure even her treats are wheat & corn free and if she is getting any dairy products - stop! No cheese, yogurt, milk, cottage cheese etc.

Add vegetable that are high in anti-oxidents to help her body heal faster.

I hope the itchies stops soon!
Good Luck!
Dan & Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!