View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieDoogles View Post
Hey everyone. I'm a bit scared to post on the breeder section cause I know it can be harsh sometimes, so please go easy on me.

I had a talk with my hubby about a week ago about breeding and...he said he would love to help me breed! We decided that we are going to wait quite a while to give us time to learn everything that we can first so that we can be as prepared as possible (and out of college). Also, our little Marty is neutered so we will need to purchase our Mommy and Daddy first. (Two more yorkies, YAY!) We were already planning to get a little girl very soon so we'll only need the daddy at that point. For now, we are only planning one litter and then we'll decide if we want to do it again or not.

Anyway, my question for all of you breeders is where is the best place for someone completely new to breeding to learn how to do it, how to choose the best mommy and daddy, tips/suggestions on raising the litter and caring for the parents, etc.? Also, any advice, comments, or suggestions are welcome!

I'm trying to do this the right way (I really am) so please don't be harsh just because I'm new to it. Thanks so much in advance!
As stated before your vet may know of a reputable breeder that is willing to help you. Another source would be dog shows, lots of excellent breeders attend them. It will give insight to what you really like in a yorkie. There are several books on breeding. Terri Schumsky and Debbie Jensen have wonderful books. Also, develop a relationship with your vet. It really helps if your vet is breeder friendly and there when you may need him.

There is a web site Breeding Better Dogs-By Dr. Carmen Batagglia.....teaches you alot about breeding, genetics, etc. He also holds seminars on canine genetics. There are also seimnars offered by local kennel clubs on breeding, everything from artifical insemmination, to whelping and raising puppies.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!