View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
mistyinca
No Longer a Member

Default My dog food project

OK, I have tried making homemade food for Chloe before, and she did not like it very well. I think it was the mushy texture of it, since I had mixed it in the food processor. So I set out today to come up with a recipe that would have a better texture.

My requirements:
The recipe must at least offer similar nutrition to one of the premium dog foods, meet AAFCO requirements, and provide the reccomended nutrition (calorie and calcium requirements). I'm rather anal about numbers, so here's what I did.

I started with the stats on a bag of Canidae.
Protein 24%
Fat 14.5%
Fiber 4%
Calcium 1.2%

Daily requirements on the bag of Canidae are 1/2c per day for Chloe (4.5lb puppy). Weighed out that is 55 grams. So based on 55 grams, that means that Canidae provides the following per day:
Calories 234 per 1/2 cup
Protein 13.2 grams
Fat 7.9 grams
Fiber 2.2 grams
Calcium 660 mg.

Here's what I came up with: I used a kitchen scale to weigh out the portions that are called for in ounces.

Beef and Potato Dog Food

1 lb 27%fat ground beef, cooked and drained.
9.5 ounces peeled potatoes, very finely chopped
3.5 ounces carrots, very finely chopped
1.5 ounces broccoli florets
2 ounces frozen peas
1 ts minced garlic
3 TB dry rice
2 cups water
3 1/4 ts Solid Gold Steamed Bonemeal

In a large deep lidded pan (I used a nonstick chicken fryer pan), brown the ground beef; drain off excess fat, and return the meat to the pan. Chop potatoes, carrots, and broccoli florets very fine--smaller than a 1/4" dice (I used my Pampered Chef Chopper). Add chopped vegetables and frozen peas to the meat along with the garlic and the dry rice. Mix together, and add the water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove lid and continue to simmer (if necessary) until mixture is a moist consistency, but not soupy. Remove from heat, and stir in the bonemeal.

This makes enough food for exactly 7 days (2/3 cup a day) if fed alone. If mixed with kibbles 1/2 and 1/2, (1/3 cup a day) it will last 2 weeks.

This mixture provides the following per day (per 2/3 cup):
221 calories
13 grams protein
9 grams fat
2 grams fiber
653 mg calcium

This comes out with a slightly chunky consistency. Chloe preferred the texture of this much more than the last one I made. And I tasted this before adding the bonemeal, and it was delicious! I could have eaten it for lunch!
mistyinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!