View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Mybabe4me
YT 500 Club Member

Default Update on Babybear 3/12/07

Well hello Everyone,
Nice to see everyone. Well It would be if there was anyone here.lol Just kidding. I know you all are busy with the furkids, but I hope this means all is okay with everyone and there babies.
Well I got some news the other day I need to tell you all about. I took Babybear to the vets so we could see why he will not use his cart(wheelchair). Well I was informed that he has very bad nerve damage do to the broken neck back in July. ( For those of you that do not know about Babybear he is one of our AAI babies.) He went misdiagnosed/undiagnosed with this congenital defect in his neck.(AAI is Atlantoaxial Instability: Dogs with Congenital Atlantoaxial instability are born without ligament support to their atlantoaxial joint(vertabra area), and may also be born without dens. Trauma to the neck can also cause tearing of the ligaments or fracture of the dens, resulting in atlantoaxial instability.(AAI)) AAI can lead to cervical spinal cord injury, the symptoms of which include neck pain,a drunken staggering gait, paralysis of all four legs, or sudden death. Baby had the last two.
Well after being told that he had really bad nerve damage I asked my vet if accupunture would be an option for him at this time. He told me funny you should ask that. Babybear's vet is becoming an accupunturest. He is going through training now. He said he needs a case to present to his teachers. And he doesn't have one yet. He asked if he could use Babybear this would mean that Babybear will get his accupunture for free. ( that is music to my ears) I agreed..
Other than that I have taken some video of Babybear during one of his swimming sessions. I do his water therapy and his physical therapy. He is not being hurt during this therapy. It looks like I am being rough but I am not. He is very much at ease when I am doing his left, right, left, right. He resists some but I want that so I know he is building muscle. I am sending the link to his video. I put it on Youtube.com so everyone can see it. I hope you all get a chance to go check it out. I am very proud of him. This video is taken at the end of his session. So he is getting tired very tired. Mind you it is done in my tub in a bucket. A big bucket. I will be taken more video in the next couple of days of him moving around the living room. He has been really trying to stand on those front legs again. I am hoping we can do some walking like this summer. That will be a joy. Well here is the link for you all to enjoy. Link to Babybear's swim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK2pzWFJVhM
Val and Babybear
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!