View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Tink's Mom
With Indy In My Heart
Donating Member

Angry Tink is now an IT and I'm not happy!

I'm not thrilled with the vet service I took her to. If I ever get a rescue dog again, I won't be so compliant and I'll insist on using my own vet.

I made the appointment two weeks ago and asked a ton of questions and wrote down the answers (good thing). I quizzed my own vet and my friend who is a vet and felt I knew enough to go ahead with the procedure although I hate being the cause of her pain.

When I made the appointment, the woman at the vet service told me to come a 1/2 hr early and Tink would be first on the surgery schedule so I could take her home the same day, if the vet agreed. I walk in with Tink at 7:30 and they don't have her scheduled (it's a 90 minute drive) but they do remember my calling. They say I'll have to wait until 9:00 when the vets come in to see if there is time to do her today but I can not take her home. They don't allow it. I'm confused and starting a slow burn.

Half an hour later, a vet tech walks over with a scissors and cuts off the tape holding Tink's ears up. Says nothing, just cuts. I said "Is that necessary? Because I've worked really hard this weekend keeping them cleaned and taped." She said, "Of course it's necessary, we can't have that stuff in surgery!" I figured it was a sterile issue so I said. "All right. But had you asked me, I would have been happy to take it off myself." She just looked at me and walked away. Then she gave me some paperwork to complete, and held out her arms for Tink while I filled it in. She just took off with her! I said "Wait, I haven't said goodby!" She said, "Oh she'll be back in awhile." I'm really confused and getting angry now.

So I asked the woman behind the counter if I get to talk to the vet before the surgery and she glared at me and said "We don't even know if there's going to be a surgery." Soooo I said. "Look. I made an appointment and you do remember that. The fact that you didn't write it down in the correct place is no reason to be angry with me. If I hadn't already paid for this SERVICE when I bought Tink from the rescue group, I'd be walking out that door right now." It is not necessary to be rude to me." To which she replied, "We're gonna be really busy today and we just don't need to be taking care of another of those rescue dogs." The red light went on in my brain and the whistle blew!

In very clipped tones I asked her what they charge their regular customers for spaying. It was $20 more than what I paid to the rescue group for her spay. I took a piece of paper from my notebook and reached over the counter and took two pieces of scotch tape from her desk. I taped a $20 bill to the paper, wrote my name and address on it, Tink's name and the rescue group's name. On the $20 bill I wrote "Paid in Full." I walked over to a consult room, sat down and said, "I'll see the vet now." It was 9:40.

At 9:45 the vet came in and asked what the problem was, so I told her. My red light was still on and the whistle was blowing full steam.

Her red light came on and her whistle began to blow also. Out to the counter she marched and said "I'll speak with you in the back, NOW!" I don't know what was said, but a different woman came to the desk and I didn't see the first one again.

I never did get to say goodbye to Tink. I felt so bad about that. But she did get her surgery and she's home with me now. At 5:30 we left the vet's office with paid meds in hand and a very apologetic vet tech who had cleaned Tink's ears with the oily cleaner we all love to hate. So, I can't tape her ears up again for quite awhile. All that work this weekend taping and taping and cleaning and taping for nothing. Wish I could do that over again - NOT!

Tink has dissolving stitches and her skin is glued. The tech told me I shouldn't put the onsies on her to keep her from licking the incision - use a collar instead. I'll have to think about that one - and ask my YT friends and my vet.

All in all, it was not a good experience and I'm glad I never have to go back there again.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!