View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
set1958
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Little Puppy

I just went through a similar experience with 5 puppies and the mom was pushing out the little girl. Three times over 3 weeks she tried to push her out until she got strong as the rest. Nutracal is a miracle for small puppies, a small amount about the size of the end of a match stick rubbed in the upper mouth and tongue. In minutes the blood sugar is up. I just would watched her nurse. I put her on the teat at the rear where there is more milk and Mom did not bother her. Twice I found her cold and hypoglycemic because Mom had pushed her out. First give the Nutracal and warm her. I threw a washcloth in the dryer and used those to warm her and my body, after she pepped up I used an eyedropper to supplement a few drops to the hair on her lips and she would lick it. I was really terrified that she would aspirate, so the rear teats worked well. She quickly learned to go there herself to get out of the big boys way. Almost 8 weeks and thriving. The vet told me to keep a very close eye on her during those first few weeks. For whatever reason, Mom's sometimes do this. My theory is that the big pups push the little one off the teats and then the suck gets weak and Mom thinks something is wrong. Hope this helps. I had many, many sleepless nights. Good luck!
set1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!