View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 05:39 AM   #8
ladydinj
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkay12003 View Post
Its always best to begin the grooming process as young as 6 to 8 weeks. Hold them in your lap and comb and lavish with love. After a while they will welcome lap time with a brush or comb. Give small treats for good behavior no matter how small during the groom session. Doesn't take them long to catch on being good results in tasty morsels.

I'm a groomer and have groomed pups as young as 8 weeks. Basically at this age, its a training session. You have to go slow with these babies and not force the issue. It'd be wise to choose a groomer that is not booked with wall to wall grooms. They will be pressed for time and more than likely hurry the process. When I get a first groom puppy booked, I block out at least 3 hours to devote entirely to this baby. After a couple visits, the puppies become more comfortable with the process and will start relaxing from that point forward. I also groom very young pups on the floor. There is too much danger of them wriggling out of your hands at this age. Restraining them on a groom table at such a young age is not good, causes more stress. Just my opinion and I know other groomer's probably would not agree with me.

I groom out of my home and I set my own schedule. Your babies first encounter at a groom shop will make a lifelong impression on he/she. So, its important you check the business out thoroughly before hand. Word of mouth from past clients is usually the best referral for a groomer vs. yellow page advertisements.

Also, I don't recommend brushing. Most of the time, you are only surface brushing and not penetrating to the base of the hair, where tangles and matts can begin. I'm a firm believer in the greyhound metal combs. Small tooth and large tooth variety. Works better than brushing and not as apt to break their hair off.

A little Baby Powder placed on a matt or tangle will generally help loosen it and you can then comb it out. This is good to use prior to a bath. Always comb out matts and tangles before bathing or you will have a real problem when the coat dries. A pair of thinning shearers works great for tough matts that you can't get out. Use them to cut into the matt and then comb out. You may have to repeat the process a couple times. Generally, thinning shears will not leave a gappy spot in the coat. It blends in alot better.

Its been my discovery over the years regarding Yorkies, that having the puppy coat removed around 3 to 4 months of age, results in a return coat of great quality. Still depends alot on genetics. Yorkie Puppy coats matt/tangle more than any other breed in my opinion during the pup stage. I've tried it both ways, let the adult coat come in naturally and removal of the puppy fur. Removal of the puppy coat early has worked best for me with my own personal Yorkies over the last 30 years. Now, I'm not talking completely shaved down....just a short trim, say 1/2 inch or little shorter all over. (I leave the face alone but trim beard area.) Generally take down the top knot short at this time. When you have at least 3 Yorkies playing around together, like I do, there is no way to keep those top knots in pretty bows.

If you have any questions, give me a shout!!! I may not always be right, but maybe be of some assistance. (.:

Hope this helps.

Linda
THANKS SO MUCH!

Visit Missy at: www.dogster.com/dogs/468523
ladydinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!