YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Yorkie Health & Diet
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
Piper & Sebastian
Donating Member

Piper has a sensitive tummy, and gets the itches a lot, so I'm switching him to a no grain food to see if it helps.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 01-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 036

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaLove View Post
That sounds like a great idea. I think I will check it out. All the posts are giving me great ideas....WAY more helpful than the vet!! I love this site! I will definitely try changing her food....like you all have said, yorkie's are SO picky, so it can be a difficult challenge finding the right one. I've just realized that what I am feeding her now, is probably not what she needs to be eating. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!!
Good Luck LolaLove ... The web-site video on pet food was a wonderful eye-opener for me. I was just so surprised how wonderfully it worked for the 11 year old with sever allergies, my picky under-weight four year-old, and new adult 1 year old whose hair felt so wirey and stringy looking when it starting growing out to her adult color... she has only been eating it for about 3 months, but we have noticed, much like human hair, it is softer and is beginning to thicken.

Good Luck with your furbaby who will provide many years of comfort and joy to your life!

Treva & the Yorkieteers!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #18
YT 2000 Club Member

I definitely think a lot of Yorkie have sensitive stomach. Mine still throws up bile once in a while but not as often as when he was younger but I don't think it completely stops when they get older. Just make sure their stomach is not empty. I just need to make sure he eats every meal and supper before bed otherwise its bile time in the morning. I have to sit down and watch him eat or play with his food to get him to eat otherwise it is bile time. He can be quite a bugger sometimes so very picky and when he doesn't want to eat on certain days because the food is not good enough for him, I quickly give him some yogurt..something is better than nothing.

One of my friend's Yorkie is on RC 28 and she is a little overweight eventhough she exercise a lot and doesn't eat much. I definitely think it is the food.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #19
♥I Luv my BaileyBlue♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaLove View Post
My 2 year old girl, Lola, seems to have an extremely sensitive stomach. She honestly throws up bile (sorry to be gross), pretty often (sometimes more than others). I try hard to keep her from eating grass, but then I heard they eat grass because they have an upset tummy. But then they throw up....it's a lose, lose. So basically, it sounds like you need to cut it off at the source.

I feed her Royal Canin (for sensitive stomachs), and was mixing it with some ID (prescription food for sensitive tummys). It ended up giving her really bad gas, so I got rid of that right away ! Now, I just mix a little fresh turkey/chicken in her dry food.

I try to make sure she doesn't eat of the ground or anything. I just don't know what is going on or how to fix it. I asked the vet, but they didn't give me much insight. The vet said to give her 2mg of pepcid AC everyday. I haven't tried that yet. I met a woman at the park, who said her dog has a sensitive tummy...she said it's common in yorkies. I feel bad for my little one though, and it's RUINING my carpet! Any suggestions?? Does anyone have this problem with their little one?? Thanks so much!! I love having all of you here for my questions!! This a great community!! I'm lucky to be a part of it
Bailey has an extremely sensitive stomach! I have to feed him prescription ID, he can't have any bone (they make him vomit), if he gets upset or nervous he will vomit. I have to be very careful that he doesn't ever get any food that accidentally falls on the floor because it will come out of both ends. The poor little guy just can't tolerate much. I've learned to just live around it.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #20
Senior Yorkie Talker

I have a super sensitive girl. If you search my posts you can see all the things I've done and been through with her. I finally narrowed it down to grains. She is six and she's been on everything but it all seems to have gotten worse as she was five. I have switched her over to Honest Kitchen dehydrated. I can only get it online cause no one has it in my area. It has worked wonders for her. I get her the Embark which is turkey and lots of fruits and veggies and some seeds. Anything with flour or grain or it seems yeast bothers her a great deal. She has had major diarrhea and vomiting episodes and a 2 1/2 lbs, she can't afford to be sick like that. It took me a while to get up the courage to try the food, but the concept of raw seems to make sense with the sensitive stomachs. They seem to do better on a food source more like what their ancestors ate and their systems are still digesting the same way so food in it's natural state is easier on their stomach. This food is raw but the meat is dehydrated at a high enough temp that it actually cooks it but all the other stuff is raw. The enzymes in the raw ingredients help them to digest. The absence of those enzymes is what causes the tiny digestive systems to have to work harder so that seems to stress the process. If you go to their website and request samples, the will send them to you. I emailed them a question before I tried it and the girl who responded has Yorkies. I should be getting paid for all this testimonial!! Good luck, I feel your pain and boy, did it cost me a fortune in vet bills before I found the answer for Desiree. Then there's the new one year old who eats everything and never has a problem!!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #21
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Same problem

My baby is also very sensitive with food. I literally have to keep my kitchen imaculate because if she eats anything off the floor, she gets her stool either softer or constipated.

She also throws up periodically especially if I try somethign new.

I narrowed the problem down to several issues which seem to cause her intolerance and stomach upsets.

1. Quantity of food I give her.

She is two and a half and eats twice a day (once in the morning and once at evening). During each feeding, I give her a mix of dry kibble and a canned food. If I give her more food, she seems to process it harder. She basically can't stop her appettite and would eat everything off the plate whether or not she is hungry. As a result, she gets to be overfed and has issues with digesting it.

I found an optimal amount by trial and error. If I give her this amount - she seems to be fine. If I give her literally a tiny amount more, it immediately shows in her stool the following day.

It is hard for me to say exactly how much you should give your dog because I don't know her weight. My girl is around 3 to 3.5 lbs. I give her a handfull of dry and two teaspoons of wet food.

2. Kind of food

I fed her many good brands outthere including Canidae, Artemis, Innova, California Natural and many others. I also gave her I.D. separately and 50/50 with W.D.

Here is what worked best. I.D. worked well in that she did not have any major outbreaks of diarrhea or vomiting. However, she seemed to not be gaining weight at all and she appeared to be always hungry.

So, I decided to switch. She did not like the taste of Innova and Canidae. She liked Artemis but I was not happy with her stool on it.

We switched to California Natural dry small kibble lamb and rice which was recommended to me as a brand with the least number of ingredients and therefore better for dogs that are sensitive.

My dog wanted wet food because she was so used to i.d. by that time. So, I started giving her Merrick canned food because I liked how it looked in the can (chunks of meat unlike i.d.). She has been doing well on it.

3. No variety (as much as you want to give her treats - don't)

I do not give her treats at all. If she deserve a treat, I simplly give her an extra chunk of canned food instead. I tried the best of the best treats - wellness's freeze dried 100% meat for $ 18 for a small bag - it just makes things worse. If it does not cause her vomiting, it will deffinitely make her stool either softer or will constipate her.

4. Dealing with occasional digestive issues

Gas: When she has gas (which I can tell she has by all of the sound coming out of her stomach, I give her infant gripe water). It helps. I also bought her HappiTami (intended for infants with gas). It is a herbal pouch that is placed in the microwave for 30 sec and after it warms up, placed around baby's tummi. It helps her, calms her out and makes her feel protected.

It is funny but I noticed that digestive problems are often attributed to my dog's psychological problems. Like when she is nervous, upset, scared and so forth, she will have bad stools. When I have arguments with my husband and she feels the tension, she reacts. My friends laugh when I say that, but it is absolutely true. So, try to see if any digestive outbursts can be linked to "depression" of any kind on the part of your dog.

Diarrhea: When she has diarrhea, I give her less food. If she has blood in her stool, it is a sign of constipation even if the stool is soft, so she has to get fiber. If diarrhea is prolonged (more than a day), I give her a tablet of activated charcoal. It absorbs all of the bad stuff in her stomach and is completely natural and much better than either pepcid or pepto. As a matter of fact, pepto is also very good but it a chemical. So, I keep it for absolutely extreme cases. Typically after a tablet of charcoal, her stool becomes better. If not, I give her more charcoal. It is totally OK. As a matter of fact, you can give her a tablet every few hours.

Severe diarrhea and vomiting: Withhold all food for 24 hours. She needs to purge and then her digestive track has to rest. It is essential. During this time, I give her flavorless pedialite or any other oral rehydration solution (essentially water, salts and sugar) to gain her electrolytes back. Seh typically does not like to drink them. So, I forse it on her with syringe every couple of hours. Ideally, if your dog drinks it, it is even better. You can either freeze one into an ice cube and give it to the dog to lick or mix it up 50/50 with water and put it into the dog's water bowl. Mine just does not like it period. So, I give her two thick syringes of this followed by pepto every few hours.

The following day, I take a can of i.d. and scoop out some of it into a cup, feel the cup with water and boil it thus creating a soup of sorts. I feed her small portions of this thing (room temp, more liquid almost no meat) throughout the whole day (every two hours). Next day, I give her normal i.d. Then, I swich her to a mix of i.d. and her typical food and she is good to go.
ChicagoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 AM   #22
Senior Yorkie Talker

Maybe adding probiotics to the diet would help? You can sprinkle some on their food or even offer a little plain yogurt daily. Mine love a few licks of yogurt!

Recently, CeCe was vomiting bile in the mornings. I asked the vet and she said it most likely due to empty stomach and recommended giving a snack before bed time.....seems to be working.

No real gastro problems, though. I feed Royal Canin with fresh veggies to CeCe and Sasha is on Hills LD with fresh veggies (she has liver shunt).
Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #23
YT Addict

Hiro used to scratch and scratch and bite and lick his paws like crazy when he was on puppy chow (which is what he was on from the breeder) I changed him off it as soon as I could onto Flint River Ranch adult/puppy formula. This has wheat in it (a common allergen as far as I've read...) and still gave him treats that had wheat in them. I stopped feeding him treats (and dental chewies) with wheat in them and after all this his scratching and chewing has slowed down dramatically. Now for treats I give him broccoli florets and (lucky me) he LOVES them. I only give him one type of teeny liver training treats that has some whole wheat flour in it now, and have changed off the adult/puppy formula to a wheat free kind of Flint River.

I've changed foods x3 since I've had him (5 months) and he hasn't had any tummy problems! In fact he hasn't vomited that yellow bile stuff for a long time. ^_^
Old 02-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoangel View Post
Recently, CeCe was vomiting bile in the mornings. I asked the vet and she said it most likely due to empty stomach and recommended giving a snack before bed time.....seems to be working.
I figured this trick out too! Now Hiro gets a few kibs before bed. Works like a charm!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #25
Yorkie Talker

would you please give us the website to find this food? Thanks
normsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #26
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member

You know peanuts vet also said peanut had a sensitive stomach, he wanted him on science diet...but I wouldnt do it I cant stand that food. I dont think his issuses are like all of your furbabies....I think the problem he had was I gave him a bone and he chewed it up and little pieces broke off and he tore his tummy up and he was pooping blood..we did xrays,blood work and all that and the vet said it was a senstive tummy, but i know it was from the bone, well he doesnt get any chew bones except nyla bones and his kong. But he has been on evo red meat small bites and has been doing GREAT on it!!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #27
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Love I LOVE Yorkie Talk!!

WoW! My profile hadn't said that there were any posts in this thread, so I just received a bunch more of your great advice!! Everyone is helping me out SO much! That's why I love this place!

ChicagoSoul - Thanks for all that advice!! You really made me speculate if it's emotional, because she definitely has some emotional issues (severe anxiety). Lola is a little over 4 lbs. now, but unlike yours, she's an extremely picky eater (maybe I'm just not feeding her the right stuff). I actually have been trying to switch her over from Wellness from Royal Canin, but I've been doing the 1/2 and 1/2 of each, and she literally picks out all of the Wellness bites, and leaves them outside of her bowl. I don't think this one is going to work very well. You definitely had some great ideas, that I will absolutely try. Anything is worth a shot!

I have been making notes on everything you all have been sharing with me, so I can try it all. I will definitely try feeding her a snack before bedtime. In another thread, someone suggested pumpkin for an upset tummy, does that seem to work? Although, I'm not sure if it's something I should give it to her everyday.

I will definitely be keeping you all posted....has anyone heard of giving Pepcid AC to their dogs? I would prefer not to have to give this to her everyday, but if it works, maybe I should? I'd rather find the source of the problem though, try to bite it off there...

Thanks so much again you guys!! You've been SO helpful....
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #28
♥I Luv my BaileyBlue♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespandp View Post
You know peanuts vet also said peanut had a sensitive stomach, he wanted him on science diet...but I wouldnt do it I cant stand that food. I dont think his issuses are like all of your furbabies....I think the problem he had was I gave him a bone and he chewed it up and little pieces broke off and he tore his tummy up and he was pooping blood..we did xrays,blood work and all that and the vet said it was a senstive tummy, but i know it was from the bone, well he doesnt get any chew bones except nyla bones and his kong. But he has been on evo red meat small bites and has been doing GREAT on it!!
I'm currently feeding my Bailey Science Diet I/D and after reading a couple different threads, I'm really worried that I'm feeding him something awful. Can you tell me what's bad about it?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #29
Senior Yorkie Talker

When I brought my dog from the breeder, my breeder told me, "Be ware, she is a very picky eater." And, my God, she was. My breeder used to free feed her dry kibble Nutro Lamb and Rice formula for puppies. In addition, to make sure that she was getting enough nutrients, she would feed her some Nutrical every day.

I did not like this regimen. So, I decided to schedule her feedings to make sure that I know what her problems might be. If she has allergies or intolerance, or any other problem, I figured that it would be much easier for me to see if she was on a schedule.

So, I started feeding her 3 times a day until she was a year old. With every feeding, we had to come up with some trick to make her eat. Literally, the whole family was on their heads to make this dog eat one kibble. Since the dog was not loosing weight or having any visible medical issues, we decided that her refusal to eat must be behavioral more than anything else. She wanted 1) yummy food and 2) she wanted everybody around to entertain her.

I wanted to change that but I was afraid of hypoglycimia if I deny her food. So, I waited for her to turn 1 and to gain more fat before I decided to not feed her and dance around her like we used to do before.

Before, if she was not eating, I would put a bit of dry liver powder on top or hand feed her, or do other crazy things. So, the dog clearly figured it out that if she refuses to eat, she would get whatever she wants to.

So, one day, I placed food in front of her and left. She did not eat it. I waited 10 min and got rid of the food completely. I only left her water to drink. In the evening, I gave her another portion of food and she did not eat. Again, I waited 10 min and removed it.

So, technically, the dog was without food for the whole day. The following day, it was a different dog. Never again did she refuse food. Instead, the moment I told her "Let's go eat", she would run to the kitchen and wait for me to put it in front. It's been amazing.

Yorkies are incredibly intelligent and they know how to manipulate their owners any way they choose. I grew up with dogs. I owned three different breeds. Never before did I experience the same intelligence as I experienced with yorkies.

I firmly believe that most of their digestive issues are 99 % behavioral and emotional.
ChicagoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #30
YT 2000 Club Member

Lol I do agree that Yorkies are very intelligent and they can manipulate you to get what they want to a certain extent. Pao has even learned to pick his treats now, can you imagine a dog picking his treats? I have had other dogs but they weren't as smart as my Yorkie, they don't challenge my brain as much as Yorkies did. When I was dogsitting other dogs, he always wanted to eat from other's bowls and I couldn't let that happen as they eat different food so what I did was switch his food to the other dog's bowl and the other's food to Pao's bowl and they both ate well lol (they were both Yorkies!). I outsmart them for once phew!