Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers. |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools|
|07-15-2008, 05:47 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Baron Licked Chocolate!
Ahhh! My Doggy Baron Licked Some Chocolate Off A Klondike Bar! Probably A Couple Licks While I Was Gone For About 30-45 Secs. My 5-year Old Cousin Was Eating It And Started Giving Baron Some. But Baron Is Shy Sometimes And When I Came Back He Was Licking The Icecream Slowly. I Dont Kno What To Do. Its Night-time So My Vet Closed Already. Please Give Me Some Advice.
|07-15-2008, 08:07 PM||#2|
Join Date: Feb 2008
I don't think you have too much to worry about. The really dangerous chocolate is the dark and baker's chocolate. Milk chocolate is not nearly as strong. A dog shouldn't have any chocolate, but a few licks of milk chocolate shouldn't be cause for a vet visit. Just keep an eye on him...he should be fine.
|07-15-2008, 08:13 PM||#4|
Donating YT 10K Club Member
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: at da beach
Blog Entries: 2
It's not enough to hurt him. He's fine.
You might want to note the phone number of the closest emergency vet just to have it on hand. They will advise you steps to take in an emergency over the telephone phone.
Deb, Reese, Reggie, Frazier, Libby, Sidney, & Bodie
Trace & Ramsey who watch over us
|07-15-2008, 08:18 PM||#6|
Donating YT 1000 Club Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Blog Entries: 1
It would take more than a couple of licks so it should be fine.
Mandy & Krissy & Teddy & Chelsey & Kayla
Non-Yorkie: Rusty & Biewers: Darla & Spanky
The Little Rascals
|07-15-2008, 08:50 PM||#7|
Donating YT 2000 Club Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Carolina
Here are the amounts that can be toxic:
The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.
Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.
So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.
Dogs and Chocolate Toxicity