View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 06:20 AM   #6
Ozzie'sperson
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I can tell you that I never HEARD of a such a thing until last year, even though it's supposed to be common with small breeds. This was never a problem with the first Yorkie and it wasn't a problem with Ozzie until last spring -- when he was already 8 for Pete's sake.

We took him to a new groomer last year -- someone my mother knows personally -- and I think that was a mistake. Because it seems like within a day or two of that visit, our long series of trouble began. Started with rectal redness. Then, a few weeks later, noticed swelling back there. Took to one vet who thought could be a cyst and tried to EXCISE it (my poor baby -- if I'd only known). That only made it worse. Well of course it did because second opinion vet diagnosed its as a mild hernia! He thought neutering him would possibly help the hernia to correct itself. It didn't.

Hernia is no longer the problem. Vet said we can actually cause more problems with surgery (because it's the anal region and can result in complete inability to control bowels) to try to correct it. The invasiveness of the first vet brought on infection which we fought all last summer and which never completely went away. We think that is now the root cause of two recent bouts of HGE. Of course our vet won't say that outright but admits that it's a possibility.

Butt-scooting CAN be a sign of impacted anal glands but can also mean that they need to have their hair back there trimmed shorter, too. If they get a straggler attached back there, scooting on the carpet is their version of toilet paper!
Ozzie'sperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!