View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #15
feminvstr
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Kelly is sounds like she does or did have an infection...I had a bitch post whelp act very simular, vet saw her 24 hours later...an injection of penicillin and 7 days of clavamox did the job...but remember it takes two to three days for the fever to break, the antibiotics take time...I took her temp every 4 hours (went to 105) and iced mom down every 4 hours (with frozen peas against her belly and dampened her head) for two days to keep her comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdorkyyorkies
My female had 5 puppies last friday night. It didnt appear to be a difficult birth. But thru the weekend I noticed a decrease in eating, mainly on Sunday afternoon. Vaginal drainage looked typical to me, with no bad odor, She also was sluggish, not her peppy self. She has had one litter in the past and she bounced right back.
Saturday she ate but only when I handfed her. Her nipples were soft, no hardness. Sunday evening she refused to eat so I began force feeding her with a syringe. I took her temperature and it was over 104. I called my vet and left a message. I had a couple Baytril antibiotics and since he didnt call right away, I just gave one. Then starting pushing fluids. She didnt like it but with a fever so high I was afraid she would dehydrate. In the morning her temp was 103.
My vet called finally and I got her in Monday.
He did a pelvic exam, her temp was still 103, but he could not feel a retained puppy or placenta.
So he gave her a Bayril injection, metacam injection, and oxytocin. Sent me home with a weeks worth of Baytril and oxytocin inj twice a day for 2 days, to try to clean anything out he may have missed. Told me to bring her back in if no improvement.
Yesterday she was a little better. But she did have a temp of 102.3. She had more pep in her step, still not quite herself, and did eat chicken on her own with gusto. Actually was barking at the other dogs when it was time for everyone to come out and play for the day. So I thought she was getting better and by this am she may be her old self. All this time taking care of these puppies, they are very content and you barely hear a peep out of them.
But she is back to refusing food so I will be forcing fluids feeding her again until I get her in today, I took her temperature and its actually normal at 101. And no energy to speak of. Among other things, Im afraid of her getting eclampsia.
Any one ever experience this with a female or have any ideas what might be going on?
Any input would be appreciated. Ill let you know what happens.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!