Thread: Liver Shunts?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
cekaai
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiesforever
I have a new little girl she is 16 weks old and is very fussy well actually no I have to force feed her 3 times a day because she won't eat. She got her shots two weeks ago had vomitted and diareah, I got her to the vet in time Thank God for Nuti cal because I believe that is what kept her alive till we reached the vet. She had hypoglyscemated. She had an IV inserted and had all kinds of things injected into her. When I brought her home but then she quit eating so I had to force feed her I brought her back to the lady I bought her from to see if she'd get her back on track like eating on her own, she had her for a week. I picked her up on Tuesday and she still doesn't eat on her own but she is back to a happy puppy. I mentioned having her tested for the liver shunt but the breeder doesn't think it necassary What do you guys think? Should I have a bile acid test done or a liver shunt test ? Linda
Definitely liver shunt is something that is commnly found in the Yorkshire breed, if caught early your pup can have a long normal life. My vet recommends that all his new yorkie, maltese owners get their pups tested.The reason so many dogs die of liver disease or failure is beacuse liver malfunction is not caught early enough before the start showing symptoms. He says that it hits so fast and can be treated if caught early. If shunt is suspected during spay a biopsy can be performed and if it is a shunt possibly repaired.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!