View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Oscar's Mummy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

If you get a 'teacup' it will never be able to really play with Jack (I'm assuming this is your yorkie?) if he is 5lbs. My Oscar is 3.4lbs and Baby Ruth is 1.7lbs (still just a baby though, she still has some growing to do) and right now I have to watch the two of them like a hawk when they're together - not because they are vicious, but because playing can get rough. A 3lb dog doesn't sound big, and isn't big by any means, but that 1.5lbs size difference makes a world of difference. I can't wait until Ruthie is Oscar's size and I don't have to worry so much about them playing together; I won't have to leave one in an ex-pen with the other roaming freely when I step out during the day. If you're looking for a companion for your Jack, a teacup may not be the best way to go. I can appreciate your desire to have a tiny puppy - makes it seem like they are a puppy for life - but like Amberlv mentioned, there are a lot of health problems that can accompany this small size. Be sure to research your breeders and don't buy a puppy from any breeder where the female being bred is LESS THAN 5LBS.

I believe it is completely genetics that determines the adult size of a puppy. A good, healthy diet obviously helps the puppy develop, but feeding more or less isn't going to change their bone structure and build type. Some dogs are just built differently - I've seen some 5lb dogs that are the same size as Oscar who is less than 4lbs. Feeding a dog more isn't going to make him grow bigger, it'll make him FAT - you can tell if a dog is overweight if you can't feel his ribs AT ALL under his skin. A dog is at a healthy weight for their size if you can just SLIGHTLY feel their ribs beneath their skin - if you can easily count every rib, the dog is underweight.

It is difficult choosing a puppy - Use your instinct when choosing. Look at the sire and dam - that is a good indication of what the puppy will look like. Look at the temperament of the mommy - as far as I know, puppies tend to take after mom in this department. And look at the puppy's personallity - pick the one that you're most drawn to. As far as the pointed vs. round face - I'm not really sure what you mean by that. When I look at puppies I look for a tiny black nose, a short snout, sharp black eyes with no white showing, nicely shaped pointed ears (rather than the tulip shape).

Good luck in finding your new baby - just be careful in looking for that 'teacup' - they're cute, but they can break your heart.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!