View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
Oscar's Mummy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonmomof4
We have had Joey and I'm really wanting a second. I think he needs a playmate too. But I also worry about him being jealous or too rough. Is there a good age to add another puppy?
Thanks Colleen
I don't think there is a specific age that's best for adding another puppy to the equation - People on here with dogs of all ages have brought a new puppy into the home with great success. I haven't heard of ANYONE regretting getting a second puppy or having any problems with it. It's natural for the original puppy to feel some jealousy with a new pup around, but you just have to pay even MORE attention to him than normal so that he doesn't feel like he's being replaced. When you give treats, puppy #1 gets the treat first, then puppy#2, etc. I was told to expect Oscar to act a little weird, jealous, and ignore ruthie for the first week or so - but he has been absolutely wonderful and was playing with her the first day she was home. It really depends on the dog. As far as aggression - you wouldn't want to leave a young, small puppy unattended with your older puppy - at least not at first. You would need to be able to monitor their playtime. When I'm at work, Ruthie is in her ex-pen and Oscar is loose to roam around. When she gets bigger, she will have free run of the place too and be able to play with Oscar until her heart's content. When I see them starting to get a little too rough or hear some squealing, I use a spray bottle with water on them and they stop.

whew.. that was a long winded answer.. what was your question again? lol
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!