View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #9
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Here's a good link for a vaccine article
http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/sho...ht=vaccination

I definitely wouldn't send them out without vaccinations, but I wouldn't let them leave at 8 weeks either. A pup is much more acceptable to stress at that age and more often than not you are going to run into hypoglycemia issues because the pup doesn't eat well for a few days after being rehomed and people drag them around to show them off. I definitely think you and the new owner are asking for vet bills that are unnecessary and wouldn't happen if you waited until they were older.

I have a lot of experience with Yorkies and even I got one that had severe hypoglycemia and seizures. The pup needed 24 hour around the clock care and I racked up close to a $1,000 in vet bills. The pup was 8 weeks. I can't say for sure it wouldn't have happened had I waited until 11 or 12 weeks, but I think the chances are that everything would have been ok. I had driven to Houston (12 hours from me) to get the puppy so taking her back to the breeder wasn't really an option for me. The pup did live and was fine, but I handfed her pedialyte every hour around the clock and fed baby food chicken until she was 3 or 4 months old.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!