Thread: Skin Infection
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
Dan & Corinne
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by amspoelstra
Trixie has had a skin infection for weeks now (the vet says it could be because of spring allergies). She has little red bumps (that sometimes look like pimples), and her skin is red, especially in her armpits and on her side. She's sooooooo itchy (in those areas, around her ears and her paws), I feel horrible, she must be so uncomfortable. She's been on antibiotics for three weeks now and it doesn't seem to do the trick. The vet also told me to give her children's benedryl three times a day, so I use a syringe to spray it in her mouth. She HATES it, and tries to spit it all out. Plus it makes her sleepy. I feel so bad for her... I hope this skin issue is going to end soon and she'll be her normal, happy, not-so-itchy self again. But sometimes I wonder if it's ever going to go away...

Sorry for the venting...
I went through the exact same thing with Jazzie for years until I changed her diet. She would literally break out and start to blister from the dermatitis! The poor baby couldn't even sleep! She is now on Natural Balance Duck & Potato formula and has not had ANY meds for over 6 months after 7 years of living in misery. In addition, I removed glutens from her diet. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43979

In the mean time to give Trixie some relief, you can try giving her a bath with oatmeal shampoo (Earth Bath seems to be especially soothing), and if she is still miserable, as a last resort, ask your vet to give her a cortizone shot, but only 1/2 of what he would normally give - be really firm about this. It's a temporary fix and will not harm her as long as she is not getting any cortizone on a regular basis. I don't like steroids but sometimes you need to decide which is the lesser of 2 evils - you know?

The change in the diet does not show for a month or two but definitely worked for my Jazzie and I am grateful I found the information and am able to share it with you all.
Dan & Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!