View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 05:21 AM   #4
Sugar's Mom
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary'sbaby
doggie won't eat, has cold, in animal hospital, and cannot keep his sugar at normal level. has iv of dextrose and nutrients and is being force fed b/c he can't or won't eat. I have had him for 7 days, of which most of the time he has been quite down and out. I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster.

Although I have had 3 yorkies already, I can't believe that all of my research has led me to such a bad experience. I have just had a very sad run in with a breeder who i thought was so reputable and wonderful. my new baby puppy is very ill and was sent to me under 2 pounds, and although he was 10 weeks when i received him, he was the tiniest that transpet has ever seen. We think he should have been kept with his sister for a bit longer. He's really tiny and is not eating willingly. I got him at 1.5 pounds and from the first night he has been having issues with food and water. He is almost scared of it. I am fully versed in understanding about the hypoglycemia risks and since I didn't expect him to be so small I wasn't emotionallly prepared for what I've been going through. I asked for a toy and didn't expect a tea cup. I love him already though and don't know what to do...within the 7 days he's been here:
He got a cold because his immune system has been down and my family and i were giving him around the clock care for a week, dealing with hypoglycemia, lack of any appetite or thirst. Next i noticed that he had a sniffle. i brought him to the doctor and they told me that he had to stay there. They said he probably can't smell his food and that it is causing him not to eat. besides this, his sugar is very low and all of the food that we've been syringing to him: pedialyte, esbilac (sp?) and nutrical and karo were not helping him. Evidently it only lasts for 15 minutes and because he doesn't eat its harming him more than anything. I am sad because my breeder won't take my calls and won't call me back. any emails they've written back were one liners. I am pulling for him and I think that because he'll be so small, and delicate he'll need a healthy companion to keep him going. If you have advice on a breeder or have had this experience please let me know what to do. I am very very sad and have crying episodes every night he's been at the animal hospital. I am about to go visit him so I would love some help. He's got my mom and dad 59 and 68 years old, my fiance and I, my brother, and my parents' two other yorkie boys pulling for him.

Thanks, maggie.
i am sorry your little pup is going thru this. My little ceeby was only eight weeks old and nine ounces when I got him. I had to continually come up with new tricks to get him to eat for awhile. the food the breeder sent home was not touched after he came to me altho I had seen him eating it at her house. i went thru three tubes of Nutrical and many vet visits until about the past two months. he is now almost eleven months old and hardly ever sick. The last time he was at the vet was about a month ago for throwing up and diarreha which only lasted two days. The vet told me that because he is very tiny, he will be fragile all his life. His eating has dramitically improved. he can now eat almost anything without getting sick. Oh, BTW, I guess by now you have found out there is no such thing as a 'teacup".
Sugar's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!