View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 11:03 PM   #15
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

I have the Veterinary Drug Handbook and it says Ivermectin (Ivomec) is the protype avermectin drug used in variety of species as an antiparasitice. It's main purpose is for Heartworm. It goes on to say that dogs may exhibit a shock-like reaction when ivermectin is used as a microfilaricide, presumably due to a reaction associated with the dying microfilaria. It does say that overdosage could cause tremors but overdosage usually happens over a number of days.

Metronidazole is used extensively in the treatment of Giardia and is also used for parasites. The adverse effects are: neurologic disorders, lethargy, weakness, neutropenias, hepatotoxicity, hematuria, anorexia, nausea, vomitting and diarrhea.

Albon is usually prescribed for Coccidia and very little reaction unless the dog is allergic to sulfer.

It is important to make sure the dog does not get dehydrated.

I am not sure if I have helped you or not or given you more worry but I think it helps to know exactly what the vet has given your little one. Just remember this book is no different than the human pill book and boy, sometimes when I have read about a drug prescribed to me it scared me.

Please let us know how she is doing but I am sure the shot is really doing a number on her system trying to kill the parasites.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!