View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
aweitzm1
YT 500 Club Member

Default Tool Suggestion for not jumping on furniture or hind legs

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a training tool to help dogs from jumping on furniture.

Thumper recently injured his back and I am trying to not let that happen again. I have used the Pet Corrector Spray in the past to have him stop barking but he is absolutely petrified of that spray. Even showing the bottle and he goes into hiding for 24 hours.

He will also jump at the gate in the kitchen when I first get home and at times when he is restless in the morning before calming down or when the doorbell rings. When I get home I sit on my bed and ignore him until he calms down. (Both Bella and Thumper go crazy when they first see me)

For the most part he uses the stairs for both the bed and couch but there are times he just jumps especially on the couch since it is shorter.

I miss having him on the bed with me at night and he is restless at that time so I don't always catch when he jumps at night as I am sleeping.

I don't want to have to crate him at night if at all possible. I do know that may be my only solution if I cannot get this under control so it does not happen again.

He is on the bigger size (15 pounds) so that is a plus. My Bella is smaller and cannot jump on the bed or couch because she is so short occasionally she will jump from my lap but I catch that 99% of the time and uses the stairs the rest of the time. But when gates will jump like Tigger until I let her out.

Just wondering if there are any other tools I can use to train him. He loves going up and down the stairs in my apartment so using them is not the issue is just making sure he uses the stairs to the bed and couch 100% of the time.

Someone suggested putting foam matting all around my couch and bed but not sure how that would look or work.

I can't control the doorbell or buzzer as its the only way to let me know when someone needs to be buzzed up to my apartment.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!