View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 04:40 AM   #40
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
Point taken about the OP, Linda, and I feel like a ninny now. Guess I'd forgotten that as the thread progressed and should have said "posted in this thread" but worry has taken hold, not thinking so clearly.

Tibbe was diagnosed as having MVD when he was 5 or 6 after testing which stopped just short of a liver biopsy(not done because the veterinary nuclear radiologists who did his nuclear scan - forgot what it was called - very familiar with liver shunt didn't think his symptoms severe enough to warrant the testing procedure and his vet ER internal medicine consultant with her own vet practice in Dallas and his regular vet agreed), was treated with diet to see how he did and he favorably responded almost immediately. Probiotics also seemed to help him more than anything and now I think he might be able to eat non-prescription food though I'm too scared to try, just in case he gets very sick again.

Thing is, he began favoring his left shoulder/foreleg about 2 1/2 months ago, putting little weight on it, holding his left forepaw up and the same day his began carrying his little tail down. With a vet diagnosis of arthritis in the left shoulder, he is now being treated with chewable Rimadyl 25 mg. Even after being on it a month, off 2 weeks, re-favored his right foreleg again and is back on it x2 daily. He no longer favors the left leg but his little tail is still carried down so I'm looking for ways to progress. As long as I've known Tibbe, he's always had his tail up unless he's fearful so I'm very worried about what his future holds.

I worry his liver might not be able to tolerate much of the Rimadyl and think it might be worth trying CBD oil for him - but how do I know that drug won't damage his liver just as badly as Rimadyl? I don't as there are no studies that I know of to show one way or another what blood/urine values or scans show after using CBD oil for a certain time period. Wondering how to proceed after current 2 mos. supply of Rimadyl runs out.
Most of the time, if the liver is going to be affected it is not immediate. I suggest speaking with your vet .... there are other meds you could try. They are using a lot of gabapentin lately and getting good results. I personally would not go with something where there is only anecdotal evidence out there...until scientific based research is done, I would not use CBD oil. As I posted earlier....the jury is still out. I don't know how any one drug could possibly help all of the things people claim....the list is endless. I would want proof first...Taylor was offended by my guinea pig remark but it basically is what we do when we give things based on anecdotal evidence. Trial and error...I am afraid of errors.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!