View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Default Ugh, neighbor adopted 6 week old Yorkie mix

I'm putting this in the "sick & injured / Emergency Talk" section because I fear for the poor puppy my neighbor adopted today. It's a 6-week-old Yorkie mix that the "breeder" gave up because she couldn't afford the shots. I haven't even spoken to my neighbor yet, but I want to be prepared with as much advice as I can muster. Any ideas on care of a puppy that left the litter too soon would be appreciated.

I'm upset because the responsible breeders I know wait until 12 weeks to adopt out Yorkie puppies. The extra time with Mom and siblings helps immensely with their socialization, especially with littles who may be a little more timid about the world.

Anyhow, my questions: Would you treat a 6-week-old puppy any differently than an older puppy? Is it OK to crate them when not home? How long away is too long away? Should we introduce the puppy to other known dogs before she has her first shots?

With a 12-week-old, I would immediately expose to as many people and dogs as possible, but I'm not sure whether a 6-week-old can handle it.

Any advice would be appeciated.

Last edited by alaskayorkie; 08-21-2018 at 07:46 PM.
alaskayorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!