View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #14
canana
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane View Post
I just wanted to start a thread to share my experience with raw bones fed to my dogs. A while ago I went against the advice of my veterinarian and decided to try a raw diet for my dogs. They've been eating Natures Variety raw medallions. Usually I'll get the lamb or the duck. They've been doing great on a raw diet. Anyways, since switching to a raw diet, the ladies at the pet store were telling me about and really pushing for me to try raw bones because they say it acts like a toothbrush and keeps their teeth super clean. Since I've been struggling with brushing their teeth, I figured I'd give the raw bones a try.

Needless to say, the raw bones are amazing! Their teeth have been great. The plaque and tartar buildup just scrapes right off as they chew on the raw bones. I've gotten compliments on their teeth from my veterinarian and the groomer as well who they used to see was just completely amazed. Yorkies are known for having teeth problems and having issues with clean teeth because they have so many teeth in their tiny mouths.

I use mostly boar rib bones. They seem a perfect size and hardness to them so that they can scrape and chew their teeth on it but not so hard that it may hurt their teeth. Some other types of raw bones I've been experimenting with as well. And I always supervise them with a raw bone.

So I just wanted to share cause maybe it might be something to look into for your dogs. I know it's super difficult to brush their teeth but the raw bones seem to be a great alternative to using a toothbrush. And honestly I think it works way better than a toothbrush.
I'm looking into getting my two some raw bones to chew on too. Do you have any troubles taking away the last bit of the bone from them when it becomes a choking hazard? And also, have you noticed that their teeth are still all pearly white? If so, do you still bring them in for dental cleaning?

Thanks for the photo - think I will look into the boar rib bones. I want to make sure it's a good size and won't chip/break their teeth!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!