View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJean View Post
I have recently been bitten by the show bug, and plan on one day having a Yorkie of my own to show. But I have alot of research to d before then. I am hoping I can get some help here
I seen the other thread about starting to show, and I have some questions that weren't mentioned in that thread, but I didn't want to hijack her post.
I plan on joining my local kennel club if I can. They hold a yearly show, and it's next week, I am hoping to be able to get up there (It's about an hour away)
I was wondering how one cares for the show coat, as opposed to the pet coat. I know that you don't cut it as one would with a pet coat, but are their brushes that you cant use on a show coat? Perhaps slickers? I read somewhere that they cause hair breakage. Do you have to wrap the coat constantly when not showing? What are the best brushes and shampoos and conditioners to use? What is your regular grooming schedule like, both on a day to day basis, and at show time? I noticed looking at numerous kennels that they have females in pet coats, and not shown, but show their males. Are males easier to show than females? I have heard that most prefer to show males, because females can't be shown during estrus. Would love to hear your thoughts on that. Would also love to hear any advice you can think to give. I am new to all this, and hope to learn from those of you who know whats what =)

Kirsten McGregor has several usefull videos on grooming and show handling for the Yorkshire Terrier. I do recommend them

Day to day the show coat is kept in wraps and I usually use a wrapping jacket. Many breeders do not allow their dogs to play in the grass etc - but my dogs live regular lives - including swimming dock jumping hiking etc.
Dependent on the type of coat - I usually wash and wrapped weekly - conditioning treatment each week. I also oiled the hair before wrapping.

The coat is blown dry with cool air - not hot air. I like if possible to wash and show groom the day of show. But before that all nails have been trimmed pawpads done and ears trimmed. Coats are often ironed the day of show.

I use Isle of Dogs and Vellus for my show dogs. I like Vellus Satin Crème for the moustaches. and top knot. Nutrient Masque and \shampoo is wonderfull - IOD

You will need hairspray - bows - small rubber bands - topknot gel

No slicker brushes Fine toothed comb and one slightly larger toothed. Brushes as least two.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!