View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomo View Post
I did switch their kibble a couple months back & it did not agree w/all of them so I switched back. Their poopie was always on the soft side & Mimi even had anal gland issues. Now this confuses me, does that mean Momo is not agreeing w/the current food or was it something triggered by the other food. That's exactly what it is, 'gooey brown liquid' yuk.

That's what I do, trim the stained tear stains bc they spread. Once it grows back, the stains are back. I never heard of flushing out their tear ducts...guess it wouldn't hurt to try if vet says it's ok.
It was a little like gravy coming from eyes, it came on within 24 hours after starting the new food, but I didn't think it was the food and continued giving the new food for 4 days. As soon as I stopped the food, they cleared up from the brown sludge, but it too a couple of weeks to completely clear up. I then gave the food again just to be sure it was the food, and sure enough it happened again. That time it might have taken three weeks or even a month to completely clear up, but significant results were within 24 hours. That's why I'm not a fan of people suggesting a food change when the dog is doing well on one food, but we all want "what's best" for our dogs, and sometimes we do stupid things! By the way, Joey's breeder was able to bleach the stains out, he's very light and it really showed as dark brown stains. There are directions on the web, but it's not something I would feel confident doing. She also gave me a tongue lashing for switching his food!

This site Factors to eliminate Tear Staining - by Tonia Holibaugh - Rhapsody Maltese says that most tear staining is caused by a "Most tear staining is due to a low grade systematic infection. This can cause the enzyme levels in the dog's bodily fluids to be "off" and therefore cause excessive staining. This systematic imbalance can be caused by simple stress or it can indicate an underlying health issue." I believe that why products such as Angel Eyes work, they have a low dose of antibiotic that you use for a couple of months. Lots of people think that's crazy to give an antibiotic for a cosmetic problem, but I really believe that it's more than just cosmetic and I know it's worked for lots of people.

Join today and remove this ad!