Thread: Puppy Diet
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
tokipoki
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I have always done some type of mixture of wet and dry food for breakfast although Toki has never been picky and eats her kibble just plain (which is fine too). I like adding the wet food for extra moisture and variety. My favorite brand of dry food is Fromm. I actually switched Toki over to a grain-free Fromm formula while she was still a puppy (maybe 5 or 6 months old? I can't remember exactly) and just picked a formula with higher protein and fat content that were similar to those of puppy formulas. Fromm also has one Puppy Formula that I've heard is very good but I'm pretty sure most of their other formulas are "All Life Stages".

Toki was on a couple different Blue Buffalo puppy formulas as well that we personally haven't had issues with. She went through a couple bags of the BB Small Breed Chicken and Oatmeal and a couple bags of the BB Wilderness for Puppies before we switched over to Fromm.

My sister's yorkie is currently on the grain-free Acana Regionals and does very well on it. There are a lot of good foods out there and tons of reviews on YT that are worth checking out!

Some people recommend free-feeding pups (especially very small ones prone to hypoglycemia) but we did scheduled feedings (Toki was larger and a healthy size). When we first got her, we offered her 1/4 cup 3x a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and eventually she stopped showing interest in lunch so we upped the amounts for her other 2 meals and cut out the lunch kibble. Scheduled feedings also made housebreaking much easier for us since a routine quickly developed and we knew when to anticipate her needing to use the bathroom.
tokipoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!