View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
lovespandp
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophias mommy View Post
Peanut looks adorable! It sounds like it is a hernia. Before Sophia had her repair, you would see what looked like a mass when she would be in certain positions (standing on her hind legs), but then in others, like laying on her back, you wouldn't see anything. Remember, a hernia is actually a small hole and the bulge you are seeing is actually stuff popping through that hole (most likely a little fat). Usually when a vet feels to see if there is a hernia, they are actually feeling for that hole.

I would continue on with the repair, there is a VERY small (and it's very very rare, so don't freak!) that one of the abdominal organs can get through the hole and get stuck. They call it strangulation, I think, which can cut off the blood supply to that organ. Now my vet has only seen a hernia that has gotten to the point of strangulation once, and the animal was neglected and had the hernia for a very very long time. So he just told me not to worry about it, but keep an eye on it. We ended up getting Sophia spayed very early, at about 12 weeks so we could do the repair at the same time. It's just something that I didn't want to have to worry about.
Yea I probably should go ahead with the surgery, I just think it is so strange that it went away... I mean before it was there- like a small lump, very visible... now nothing is there and you have to really push down to feel it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!