View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #28
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

From this thread, the two who posted problems and listed the combo vac given their pups... both contained the Lepto Vaccine. This is not a core vaccine, and if one is in an area that is plaqued by Lepto, it is best given as a separate vaccine, a month apart from all others. At this point in time, I am assuming this is the 'New and Improved' Lepto vac, so maybe there is still work that needs done to make it safe.

DHPP is a combo puppy/adult vaccine. Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus.

DHLPP or DHPPL... This is the same as DHPP but with added Lepto vac. L always means the vaccine contains Lepto.

The combo vaccs are made both ways. Sometimes clinics will run out of stock of DHPP and will use DHPPL or DHLPP in it's place. I always ask to see the vial before any injections are given to mine, and I will come back later when they have DHPP back in stock.

You may also see Cv on a combo vac. That is Corona Virus and is only effective on puppies 6-8 weeks of age. It'll look like DHPPLCv or DHLPPCv. For older puppies and adult dogs, this vaccine is unnecessary.

Each vaccine will stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies against a particular disease or group of diseases. DHP and DHPP are also combo vacs, but I've only heard of one instance of a bad reaction to these (on YT).

It takes about one month (4 weeks) for a vaccine to do it's job. At two weeks after innoculation, the vaccine is at it's peak in the dog's system. This is why I wait 4 weeks between vaccinations.

I also never combine vaccines with surgeries, dentals, illnesses, or injuries, as these things also stimulate and rely on the body's immune system for healing.

Also, by waiting until the system is clear of one vaccine, the dog then has his whole immune system ready to work on the next vaccine, and his body gets a better, stronger response from the vaccine, because it's not already busy working on the other vaccine(s), or trying to recover from an illness, surgery, or injury.

Also, Bacterial vaccines don't last as long and need to be repeated more often such as Lymes, kennel cough, and Lepto. Last I checked, These were given at 6 month intervals, so yearly boosters are useless.

As for 'new' vaccines... I avoid them completely. I need to see at least 5 years on the market with minimal bad reactions. So, no Giardia vac, no Dental vac, no Lymes vac (questionable unexpected results of late), no dog flu vac, and no ProHeart 6 heartworm vac, and no intranasal Kennel cough...if mine needed it they would get a injection.

I just came across a fascinating article on revaccination:

Revaccination
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!