View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Rescuemomma
YT 500 Club Member

Default Colds and Yorkies - any advice?

For those who haven't read my intro, a week ago tomorrow I welcomed my darling 3 lb Yorkie, Benjamin Button, into my heart and home. He was on the "rescue only" death row list at the local shelter - he has no teeth and they felt that made him unadoptable. Thankfully I was able to enlist the help of fellow rescuers and get him out of there.

Monday he was fine, Tuesday morning I took him to the vet for a general wellness exam - at that point there was nothing amiss, we did a senior wellness panel, full thyroid panel, and a UA just to be sure. Everything came back perfect. Now after leaving the vet I did have errands to run, so he went all over with me, and it was kind of windy out. That evening he started sneezing a little and I didn't think much of it since he'd been out with me in the wind.

Wednesday he was still sneezing, and I called the vet - he said probably allergies and said to give 5 mg of Benedryl 3x a day, and to get my humidifiers running and put some Vicks in them. I've been doing that but he seems to be getting more and more congested every day. It has been cooler then normal and rainy the last couple days, not sure if that's relivant or not since with him not feeling his best I've had him using a puppy patch instead of going outside in the rain.

He acts ok still, he's got a great appetite - he'll eat anything! Has a hard time eating alot of things at his size with no teeth but it doesn't stop him from trying! But the sneezing, coughing, and congestion seem to be slowly getting worse. I took his temp and it's normal (101.3), am I worrying to much? Or should I take him to a different vet for a second opinion? Is there anything else I can do to help with the congestion so he can breathe better? I'm actually a vet tech and see so many of these tiny dogs develop pneumonia that I'm a bit worried this will turn into something more serious, but am I just bring over-protective?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!