View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

It has been my experience that early handling by the breeder, usually makes the issues you have described, much more accepted by the puppy. That said, you will find some puppies that just DO NOT like laying on their backs and will not ever accept it. As far as grooming behavior, you just have to work and work with the puppy (in lieu of puppy training classes), working in short periods of time....you have to be persistant, consistant, and patient! You NEVER let the sesson end with "the puppy winning", ie, lets say you are clipping ear tips....you talk to the baby constantly, softly, encouragingly, praising the baby for good behavior....you have to have someone holding the baby for you because you can not clip ear tips on a struggling, squirming puppy.....have a treat available immediately....talk soothingly and clip just one stroke on the ear and praise her profusely and give her a treat....clip another stroke, repeat praise and treat, clip another stroke, repeat until you have the 1/3 outside top of her ear done and the final stroke you make, make it when she is standing still and letting you do her ear, then praise and treat and QUIT, on a positive note. If she is struggling and fighting and you quit or stop your task, in her mind, SHE HAS WON!!! Dont let that happen!!! Resume with the other ear, same procedure and hour or so later...same steps, etc....You are going to have to take it slow and easy, working only short periods of time, and always ending on a positive note with praise and treat, and YOU "winning"! This is what has worked for me in the past, when I have been faced with an uncooperative baby....I do my own grooming, so maybe they just know I am not a professional groomer and they were terrified what they were going to end up looking like!
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!