View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
dawn27
2+2=4 X the Love ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I would think it is time to let a dog go when its quality of life and its ability to live a dog's life are so impaired from disease and/or pain that it is suffering and/or can only lie there, made only to observe all the life around it, rather than getting to partake. Dogs very often suffer stoically and frequently do not show their pain by whining, limping or licking what is hurting, revealing only by their lack of their old vitality that they may be miserable. To someone like me, there is almost nothing worse than a poor dog having to exist in serious distress because its owner cannot bear to lose him, sometimes putting their feelings ahead of their helpless dog's bad medical situation. Have your vet advise you whether or not your baby can have a decent quality of life as Ellie May advised. I am so sorry that you are having to perhaps face such a heartrending decision but know you will do the right thing for your little loved one.
Well said.... I would have to agree!

I think that if you know that an animal is suffering and you have exhausted all of your options within reason you are only prolonging their suffering for you own somewhat selfish reasons. Prolonging her suffering isnt' helping your George any. Your daughter needs to realise that George may be better off in heaven.

After speaking with and having your vet assessing her, if you both come to an understanding to put her down you should make sure your daughter knows that you did so for the best interest of George. It's never an easy thing to have to do especially with children and a pet they have known their entire life. Believe me I know, I've been there.

My daughter was 3, when we got our dog Shadow and had to put him to sleep when she was 10 and our son only 2. Just three months later our cat Sheena who was 16 yrs old was diagnosed with liver failure and also had to be put to sleep. My son still remembers both of them and asks about them all of the time. He would even tell me stories about them being in his room at night when he was younger after they had gone to doggy heaven ! (I know in my heart, that they are here with us)

Nobody want to have to make that decision... but in the long run it is what is best for the animal that is important no madder how hard in may be on the humans who love them....
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!