View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
myteddybear
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I think it's more common there than in the US. It doesn't seem they really have any laws against it and there are literally pet shops full of puppies on every street corner. The puppy auctions seem to be common knowledge and not really hidden at all though I never went to any while there. I think if I had wanted to they would have been as easy to find as the fish auction.

Not related really to puppy mills directly but another thing I found out about Japan that was just sick was they have something there (I can't remember now what they were called exactly) but they were basically pet drop boxes. In reading about them it sounded like an over sized mail box where you could drop your pet in if you didn't want it anymore. It's their attempt to keep down the stray animal population. Every so often they would come by and empty them. The dogs and cats could be in there for days in the sweltering heat before they came to "empty" it. I think they were in the more rural areas or well out of the way as in 7 years I never saw one that recognized to be one. I was hopeful it was something they had moved away from. I suppose though you could say they are related to puppy mills because there would be far too many dogs and they are easily replaced at any street corner due to puppy mills.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!